Location: Italy, Sicily, Messina
Contracting Authority: Sicilian Region, Division of Culture and Sicilian Identity, Department of Culture and Sicilian Identity – Superintendence for Cultural and Environmental Heritage of Messina
Period of work execution: August 2014 – October 2015
Description: The project for Archeological Park of the Aeolian Islands and the archeological areas of Milazzo, Patti and neighboring municipalities was created with the aim of setting up a Center for contemporary art in the Archeological Park of the Aeolian Islands through an open tender in accordance with of Legislative Decree no. 163/2006.
Syremont oversaw the overall final design, the technical and accounting coordination and as group leader was responsible for the general management of the contract. In particular, Syremont oversaw the restoration work, the outfittings, the video production, and the website and social networking activities for promotional purposes. Il Cigno, main partner, oversaw the artistic direction of the temporary and permanent exhibitions.
The intervention was focused on the area of Lipari Castle and in particular on three sites that are subject to historical and artistic constraint: the former Church of St. Catherine, the former prison of Lipari, the ground floor of the former hostel of Lipari; Prismi Arte’M oversaw the communications, catalogs, the exhibition, and the hospitality.
Today Lipari is equipped with infrastructures to potentiate the offer of services to the public:
- a permanent Contemporary Arts Center at the former prison;
- an area fitted, air-conditioned and lit, with remote video surveillance for the organization of temporary exhibitions;
- an auditorium equipped with all the necessary conference technology;
- a permanent exhibition dedicated to Bernabò Brea;
- a reading room equipped with publications on contemporary exhibitions selected among the most important Italian publishers.
Areas of interest where Syremont intervened:
- executive project and general management;
- construction reclamation work;
- arrangements for temporary and permanent contemporary exhibitions in the area of Lipari Castle (former Church of Santa Caterina, former prison);
- construction of a temporary exhibition dedicated to Bernabò Brea and Madeleine Cavalier;
- Systems: video surveillance with remote monitoring; microclimate control and air conditioning, electrical, lighting.
For further information visit: